I haven’t posted in a while, and I need to make more time to do so. During my silence, I have continued to work on my chess improvement, and I am currently on day 112 of a program I am putting together for myself.
My FICS standard rating has gone from 1607 to 1699 during this time and my blitz rating has gone from 1234 to 1310. I promise to write more when I have more time, but in the meantime here are a few thoughts and resource:
1. Check out GM Nigel Davies The Chess Improver Blog.
2. Being more aware of my opponent’s threats has been a major improvement milestone.
3. A sure way to quickly improve is to practice basic chess tactics and to try to eliminate blunders from your play.
4. Blitz is fun, but it is counterproductive when trying to improve your overall chess.
5. Chess Secrets: The Giants of Chess Strategy by Neil McDonald is a phenomenal book and a great positional textbook.