2. Look for immediate opponent threats.
3. Narrate tactical themes (Hanging bishop, skewerable or forkable pieces, etc.).
4. Look at more than one candidate (when you find a good move look for a better one).
5. Calculate at least 6 ply (3 moves) deep.
6. Look for in-between moves.
7. Examine forcing moves first in the order of checks, captures and threats.
8. When all seems lost, look for stalemate possibilities.
9. If you feel you are on the right track, but your are not finding the winning move, then try to reverse the move order.